Google Hit Hider by Jefferson Scher – download here
Do you want to block some of the crud that Google promotes in its results pages? Crud that is often the result of a symbiotic relationship between Google and its proxies, where the proxies host
CrapSense AdSense and Google takes its cut?
- Want to say bye-bye to EHow.com?
- Never want to see a subdomain of About.com?
- Fed up of answers.yahoo.com (where jerks copy and paste other people’s work and pass it off as their own)?
- Cheesed off with Wickipedia always hogging the top slot?
Here’s YOUR chance to get good results.
Of course, you have to be using FireFox ….
First, install the Firefox Addon GreaseMonkey
Next, visit this page and click on the install button.
The blocker sits on the right hand side of the page, and only appears when you’re looking at Google results. Clicking on it makes it pop out.
Next to every result is a little ‘block’ symbol. Clicking on it either wipes that entry from the results or replaces the entry with a single line of text.
Help file here (pdf)
What rubbish do YOU ban from your SERPS?
Here’s my current list:
answers.yahoo.com figureskating.about.com bigresource.com skateboard.about.com www.about.com www.dailymail.co.uk www.ehow.com
A few more thoughts:
- There are two or three websites whose owners I trust. It would be nice to see their lists of crap sites with a view to importing them
- I’d like to be able to promote white-listed sites UPWARDS in the SERPS
- I’d like to be able to ban specific Adwords e.g. anything from Ask.com, Kelkoo.com
- I’d like to be able to white-list Adwords from trusted companies (which is basically Amazon at the moment) and promote them to the top