Here’s what I’d like to see – some application that I could load onto my PC or phone that would filter Google’s results for me.
I don’t like the crap that Google delivers.
I’d like to get rid of the ‘Google Bitch’ sites like Ehow.com and About.com for a start.
A ‘Google Bitch’ site is essentially a Google proxy site. Google doesn’t own it so Google can claim with a straight face that it’s got no interest in it (and is most certainly, definitely not exhibiting monopolistic tendencies. )
But the ‘Google Bitch’ site gets a free pass in the rankings and always ends up in the top ten. Its content is nearly always mediocre but delivers Adsense dollars to Google.
- Ehow is owned by Demand Media, a content mill that churns out crap mediocre content. Given the money it pays to its contributors you have to wonder where this content comes from (no, actually, you don’t. It’s called copy, paste and rewrite.)
- About.com has a slightly different business model. Its contributors are named. Their ‘payment’ appears to be a mention and a link to their own website, a plug for their books, etc. etc. All within frames by the look of it, so that About.com doesn’t pass any link-juice to anyone else. Nice.
I’d also like to get rid of Wikipedia. I don’t want it at the top of the results.
If I wanted it at the top of the results I’d search for ‘Wikipedia’.
It’s only purpose is to make Google look good because it has mediocre / just about good enough (but consistent) content that means no ‘spam’ sites get to the top.
Wikipedia also takes up one place in the organic SERPS, pushing the entity that would have been there into the Adwords sidebar. You know that Google is more cunning, more devious and more ruthless than it lets on.
But there’s other stuff I want to get rid of, too.
- I don’t like the Adwords adverts at the top of the page, cunningly disguised to look like organic results.
- I don’t want Google Places. Eugh.
- I don’t want shopping comparison engines and certainly not Google Products. The spammers have been there and too often the products don’t exist.
I want a piece of software that will plug into my browser and strip the half-truths from Google results. Let other people see the crap.
I’d also love a piece of software that will show me 100 results, not ten. I won’t log into Google for those results unless absolutely essential. I don’t trust Google.
I don’t want the ‘Google Bitch’ sites, I don’t want Wikipedia, I don’t want Google Products, Google Places or any other Google ‘Thing’ shoved in my face because Google’s making money out of it.
Please continue whatever you were doing ….
Update: here’s the answer, or a bit of it how to remove crap from the SERPS.